City of Heros Tactics

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.
Site Admin

City of Heros Tactics

New postby Bud » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:28 am

One of the most frustrating things about CoH is that there are so many younger players whose main tactic is, "run into battle and try not to die". Of course, this results in a total team wipe when things get difficult. So, I figured I'd start a thread about CoH tactics in the hopes that the more experienced players would share their secrets and so that we can develop more advanced tactics.

Let's start with the basics. Lyle...

New postby LyleAustin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:41 am

Number One...

The more diverse a Team is, the more successful it.

Two man teams can be very effective if they are different Archtypes. Doesn't seem to matter which archtypes, so long as they are different.

Number Two...

The tactics you use soloing are not the same that you use in a group. Learn to compartimentalize your attack strategies.

This is probably the biggest problem I've run into when playing with other people. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've successfully mezzed an entire group of villians, only to have them all awoken by a blaster's AoE (Area of Effect) attack on the first round. Then the blasters complain because everybody's attacking him at once and the healers can't heal him fast enough to keep him alive. Or if they do, they're out of endurance.

Number Three...

Pay attention to your endurance. Don't start a big battle if a number of the team members are low on endurance. And for heaven's sake DO NOT start a fight if YOU are low on endurance.

Number Four...

Different villains require different strategies. E.g. The undead Vahzilok (Cadavers, Abominations, etc.) do not mez well. But the living Vahzilok (Reapers, Mortificators) will mez. So mez the living, and then take out the undead as quickly as you can.

Number Five...

Take advantage of your controllers. If you're in the middle of a big battle and low on endurance, and your controllers have put all the villains on hold; take a minute to recover some endurance before continuing the fight.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:25 pm

LyleAustin wrote:Number One...

The more diverse a Team is, the more successful it.

Two man teams can be very effective if they are different Archtypes. Doesn't seem to matter which archtypes, so long as they are different.

An interesting corollary to this is that 4-7 man teams can be dangerous (in my experience). By the time you get the 4th or 5th player in the team, the chances are high that somebody is going to do something to break team tactics. This usually results in trouble. By the time you get a full team of 8, you usually have enough power to take on most sane situations and tactics become a little less important. However, the diversity rule still applies and each team is different.

LyleAustin wrote:Number Three...

Pay attention

I think we can abstract this rule to this level. :)

LyleAustin wrote:Number Five...

Take advantage of your controllers. If you're in the middle of a big battle and low on endurance, and your controllers have put all the villains on hold; take a minute to recover some endurance before continuing the fight.

I have an interesting variation on this. My Force-Field (FF) Defender has a personal FF that makes him nearly invulnerable. I have made good use of it to rest to full endurance during the middle of a battle. Rather then spending 3/4 of a big battle firing slowly once END has run out, I will put up the FF, rest, and come out guns blazing. It can turn the tide of a battle.

So, how about power selection? Have you found any particular balance of primary/secondary/pool powers that is more effective? For example, it's becoming pretty clear to me that every hero should have a good travel power by the time he's 14th level.

New postby LyleAustin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:19 pm

I try not to worry about what is the primary/secondary combinations. My understanding is that Fire blasters with technical support for their secondary are the most effective. But who the hell cares about all that? What's really important that you create a hero that you can relate to. Give him/her a history that you use as a theme for why they can do what they do.

For instance "Lyle Austin" was struck by lightning while riding his bicycle on the streets of Mesa, Arizona. The resulting electrical surge polarized his electrolytes into a quasi-permanent state of embalance... Now, by focusing his thoughts, he's able to control the minds and bodies of others. When Issue 2 comes on line and he reaches level 30 and can pick a special effect, I'm going to look for an electrical sparking special effect around his body.

"Hell-Geyser" is a devil from Hell sent to the mortal realm to gather the souls of the truly evil and unrepentant. (Labor shortage, don't you know...) I gave him fire attacks and fire manipulation. I picked super jump as his first travel ability, thinking of the legends of the Jersey Devil. Later I will pick teleportation so he can pop in and out of places.

(And yes, for those of you who want to know... I really did use to ride my bicycle in lightning storms in the hopes of being struck by lightning and given super powers. Satisfied?)

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:29 pm

LyleAustin wrote:What's really important that you create a hero that you can relate to. Give him/her a history that you use as a theme for why they can do what they do.

I agree totally... and I believe you'll find all my characters have some sort of story/personality behind them. (Just throwing together a set of powers is not very interesting to me if they don't make sense to the character.)

I guess my question was really a little different. My thoughts are that, eventually, you can get almost all the powers for your class. What I'm wondering is, how should you prioritize them? Which powers should you get first.

For example, I was starting to get tired of En Force because, although I had some interesting ideas with force-fields and energy, it seemed like I'd really only made a weaker blaster. Then, I grouped with another FF defender who strongly recommended I get "Dispersion Bubble" (the big, party protecting bubble). At that point, En Force really came into his own. He became a valuable addition to any party and I really started enjoying him. Later, adding fly only made him better.

So my question is, "what powers are more important (so that they should be taken as early as possible)?" I realize it's a class-specific answer and a complicated one at that, but I think it's a good strategy topic. I guess my first contribution to the discussion is that "Dispersion Bubble" should be taken ASAP by any FF-wielding character.

New postby LyleAustin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:50 pm

I think that if a bit too general of a question. CoH is a relatively new game, and though I've been playing it for several months now, I don't have all the answers. I think that right now we are better served if we just post new tactics and strategies as we find them.

For example, the Blaster Pull that I've been using.

In an effort to get to a position of relative safety (near the exit) when attacking a member of a group of villains, I discovered if I started running away the moment the white activation indicator started moving around the power button, I had an extremely good chance of pulling a single villain from the group without drawing the attention of others.

It appears that other villains only take notice of the hero if the targeted villain starts an attack. If the villain just starts running, the rest ignore what's going on. The exception to this rule appears to happen when you miss your attack. Then you will usually get several other villains joining the chase.

Fortunately, it seems like I have much fewer occurances of misses when I'm running away than when I'm standing in place. Perhaps the CoH developers ha've modified the situation so that a fleeing hero has better accuracy (the assumption being that a fleeing hero is a hero in trouble.) Whatever the reason, I'm not complaining.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:24 am

LyleAustin wrote:I think that if a bit too general of a question. <snip> I think that right now we are better served if we just post new tactics and strategies as we find them.

OK, good point. Although, I'd like to revisit this as we find certain powers are "essential" to a given class.

I'd also like to collect varous basic tactics here that we probably all know already. Just to have them in one place so we can refer to them later.

For example, it's documented in the book that, if you target a teammate and use an attack power, that power will affect your teammate's target. This is a great tactic for blasters and defenders to use when teammed with melee types, yet I see so few people doing it. It accomplishes several really good things. One, it focuses both heros on the same villian, making short work of him. Two, it keeps aggro on the melee class and off the blaster. And three, it keeps the teammate targeted for buff powers & heals. A warning though, the blaster shouldn't use powers that knockback the villain because it forces the melee character to chase the villain. Also, the melee character shouldn't switch targets until the first one is dead or the 2-on-1 benefit is lost.
Last edited by Bud on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:35 am

One very powerful tactic I've noticed, playing my force field (FF)defender, that may seem obvious (but again, so few do it) is to melee in the FF bubble and blast out of it. Staying in the bubble is pretty obvious, and I rarely have to remind melee types to stay close to my defender. However, blasters have a preference for hanging back and firing into a melee. This tactic is reversed if an FF defender is present (and also if a healer is present). One experienced player I played with kept saying, "work the bubble", I loved it!

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:38 am

LyleAustin wrote:For example, the Blaster Pull that I've been using.

FYI: Something I've noticed that spoils this technique is if any of the rest of the party is visible to the mobs. Everybody has to stay out of sight or the whole group will aggro.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:13 pm

So, on the topic of character power combos... I noticed that several of us have been unhappy with how little damage most tankers do. Well, I was experimenting on the Triumph server and discovered that the mace power set seems to do quite a lot of damage (closer to that of a scrapper). I'll post a character bio in the gallery later.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:42 pm

Question of the day:

What Class of character is your favorite to play in a Group and which set of powers do you Enjoy?
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

New postby Jeff » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Okay, I'll start.

I like playing a Def/Kinetics/Rad blast.
You have to run them in to get healing from transference and the blast all
help reduce defense. I've got 3 different versions of this type, well one is an energy blaster, and enjoy them all in groups.

Second, would be Tanker. I love being the center of attention. Only problem is that after playing Lt I have to wait a day on any other character. (I tend to get them killed quickly, they're not tough enough)
Playing the tank though is frustrating when you have to chase the Mob down.

I have only played one blaster in a group and died 3 times. Oddly enough this is the character I solo the most.

The scrapper's I've played have been slow (broadsword and claws).

And, I've never gotten a controller past 2nd. Just can't stand the class.

There are my preference's, so what's yours.
Last edited by Jeff on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:26 pm

I really enjoyed playing my grav/kinetic controller in a group, but haven't done it in forever. After that I like playing either my tank (Stainless Steel, invuln/super strength). I like playing my main (En Force, Force Field/Energy Blast) in a small group (2 9r 3 toons), but in a bigger group he's only really useful for keeping the bubbles up.

Surprisingly, I don't really like the scrapper class that well. He's generally a pain to solo and tiring (if effective) in a group.

Return to Gaming