Commercial Space Flight

This forum is for discussions about science, engineering, and technical subjects.

Commercial Space Flight

New postby LyleAustin » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:57 am

SpaceShip One has moved the Exploration (and ownership) of space from the government to the private sector. I watched saw two of the principals of the Tier One project (Burt Rutan and Mike Melvill) on the Tonight Show last night and I have to say it was awe-inspiring what they had to say.

One of the comments Rutan made was that in this country, you could not plunk down your money and buy a ticket into space. You could go to Russion and give them 20 million dollars to go into space. But they had taken that 20 million dollars and built their own space program, and as a result we were a lot closer to make that (being able to buy a ticket into space) a reality.

Wow, 20 million dollars. That's a pretty insignificant amount of money, when you compare it to what is spent on making movies. Makes you wonder what the Tier One Project could do if they had what was spent to make the movie "Troy"?

Space is big, really, Really, REALLY big. Too big to control. My gut tells me that the Federal government is going to tie up the privatization of space research with all kinds of bureaucratic red tape in an effort to try to keep some kind of control. (Probably in in the name of the Patriot Act and national security.)

Thoughts on the subject? Comments? Wise-ass remarks? Complaints?

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:18 pm

These guys are the leading contenders for the X-Prize, a 10-million-dollar prize for the first private team to make back-to-back manned space flights.

http://www.xprize.org/index.html

I'm glad to see somebody has made the first attempt. They didn't win the prize yet, as they need to make 2 flights with 3 people (or equivalent balast as defined by the contest rules) within a given time period (14 days or something like that).

Cool stuff. Let the commercial space-race begin!

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:44 pm

New postby Jeff » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:21 am

While I was on Vacation they won the Prize and Lord Branson( Owner of all things "Virgin") has set up a company to make regular space flight a reality. Yeah!

But, I agree with Lyle, the goverment is going to try and slow or control this process also. Many interesting possiblilites lie this way... Hmm
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

Return to Engineering