Discussion: Robotics

This forum is for discussions about science, engineering, and technical subjects.
Site Admin

Discussion: Robotics

New postby Bud » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:54 pm

I ran across an article on Robotics in Scientific American, written by Bill Gates. It seems that he started an effort that has created the "Microsoft Robotics Studio" (now available). It is a software development toolkit and simulation environment that will help robot developers create the software to control robots.

The Microsoft Robotics Studio environment is an end-to-end, scalable and extensible robotics development platform that includes the following:

• A visual programming language that enables nonprogrammers to easily program robots using a drag-and-drop environment

• A 3-D tool that simulates robotics applications in physics-based virtual environments, using the licensed PhysX™ engine from AGEIA™ Technologies Inc.

• A lightweight, services-oriented runtime that enables applications to communicate with a wide variety of hardware

I find this both exciting and terrifying (two things, which often go together). Could it really be Microsoft that ushers in the era of the robot?

This toolkit addresses three points, all three of which I've had ideas about for some time now. First, I've wanted to create method of visually building a computer program, similar to the way you'd use leggos. I've just never started any sort of development of it. Second, I've felt for quite a while that computer gaming and computer operating systems would soon collide. Apparently, that collision is going to be in robotics development. (Does anybody recognize the Agea PhysX engine? It's the new physics engine supported by City of Heroes.) Third, the idea of a lightweight, services oriented runtime is integral to the operating system concept I've been playing with.

I guess I'd better start acting on these ideas sooner if I'm ever going to benefit from one of them, or Microsoft (with the aproximate infinity of resources it has) will invent everything.

Still, it's pretty cool to see some big business activity behind rebotics.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:00 pm

Freekin' dig this! RoboCup

The ultimate goal of the RoboCup project is By 2050, develop a team of fully autonomous humanoid robots that can win against the human world champion team in soccer.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:12 pm

There's an "At Home" competition too. Here's the 2006 competition rules.

New postby Bill » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:25 pm

It's further along than you may think...

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:32 am

EveR-1 will show displeasure if you poke her

Typical
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

Bud wrote:
EveR-1 will show displeasure if you poke her

Typical

Hmm...maybe it's in HOW you poke her. After all, "she" is designed by engineers, right? Perhaps the question is how many female engineers.

Return to Engineering