Misc Video Games

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.
Site Admin

Misc Video Games

New postby Bud » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 pm

1st person shooter games improve decision making

Maybe we should start playing Halo
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

Re: Misc Video Games

New postby Bill » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 pm

That game does look pretty damned cool. 8)

New postby Jeff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:41 pm

halo?
Looking it up...

Well, it is interesting, how much is xbox?
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

New postby Bill » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:58 am

Yeah, that's just the problem. Xbox. When will it be available for PC?

New postby Jeff » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Any others, that might qualify?
Jeff

New postby Bill » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Halo 2 is available for PC. Cheap. Not as popular, apparently...3 stars avg on Amazon.com.

Halo: Combat Evolved is another with higher ratings (4 stars). Not sure if that's an online or coop server type.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:52 am

Halo is really only good on a game box. I've kinda' had an itch to play it for a while now, but I haven't bothered to invest in a box yet.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Bud wrote:Halo is really only good on a game box.

Bummer. You know this from first-hand experience, I take it.

I'd live with the lowly PC experience. Too old to be much of advanced gamer anymore. :roll:

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Bill wrote:

Not directly. I'm guessing. But, I'm confident I'm correct from similar personal experience. See if this line of logic makes sense:

1. Shooter games (if you enjoy them) are fun because they're fast paced and challenging.
2. Fast paced games (from my experience) are best when they're done "arcade style" on a dedicated game box.
3. "Arcade style" games tend to be too simplistic to be interesting on a PC. (I've played what looked like really cool Spider Man and X-Men games on the PC and they sucked because all you could really do was run around on a very limited path and kill things. Not enough complexity of interaction for the complex interface on a PC (i.e. keyboard, mouse, and interactive GUI). No (or limited) ability to customize the charaters, little interaction with the environment, etc.)
4. Dispite the cool looking videos and backdrop story, Halo is an arcade style 1st person shooter.

So, Halo may be an exception to the pattern. However, I wouldn't bet on it. If you look at its history (Halo's been around for quite a while now), the PC versions come out long after the XBox versions have gotten old. I'm sure that they are just direct ports to a PC environment, with no additional functinality. Thus, they're going to be poorly suited to the PC and just look and feel like old arcade games.

So, you can wait for the PC version if you like, but my bet is you'll be disappointed if you do. Your best best is to try the XBox version. If you like it, it might be worth the price of the box. If you don't, don't bother with the PC version.

But, I'd bet it'd be awefully cool on my 52" LCD TV. :mrgreen:
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Bud wrote:
Bill wrote:

Not directly. I'm guessing. But, I'm confident I'm correct from similar personal experience. See if this line of logic makes sense:

1. Shooter games (if you enjoy them) are fun because they're fast paced and challenging.
2. Fast paced games (from my experience) are best when they're done "arcade style" on a dedicated game box.
3. "Arcade style" games tend to be too simplistic to be interesting on a PC. (I've played what looked like really cool Spider Man and X-Men games on the PC and they sucked because all you could really do was run around on a very limited path and kill things. Not enough complexity of interaction for the complex interface on a PC (i.e. keyboard, mouse, and interactive GUI). No (or limited) ability to customize the charaters, little interaction with the environment, etc.)
4. Dispite the cool looking videos and backdrop story, Halo is an arcade style 1st person shooter.

So, Halo may be an exception to the pattern. However, I wouldn't bet on it. If you look at its history (Halo's been around for quite a while now), the PC versions come out long after the XBox versions have gotten old. I'm sure that they are just direct ports to a PC environment, with no additional functinality. Thus, they're going to be poorly suited to the PC and just look and feel like old arcade games.

So, you can wait for the PC version if you like, but my bet is you'll be disappointed if you do. Your best best is to try the XBox version. If you like it, it might be worth the price of the box. If you don't, don't bother with the PC version.

But, I'd bet it'd be awefully cool on my 52" LCD TV. :mrgreen:

Well, there ya go. :x

New postby Jeff » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:23 pm

So, we keep playing CoV/CoH, yeah.
Jeff

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Jeff wrote:So, we keep playing CoV/CoH, yeah.

Interesting conclusion. I may go ahead and get an XBox 360 and start playing Halo. I haven't decided yet.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Bud wrote:
Jeff wrote:So, we keep playing CoV/CoH, yeah.

Interesting conclusion. I may go ahead and get an XBox 360 and start playing Halo. I haven't decided yet.

If you do, have fun. We'll have to come over and give it a try. :twisted:

New postby Jeff » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Game night Guys night?
Jeff

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Jeff wrote:Game night Guys night?

That could work
-Richard Dawkins

Return to Gaming