Everquest

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.
Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:18 am

Pha! From what I can see the quests pretty much blow! I puttz'd around with the Khati Sha hand wraps quest for my BST, what a dissapointment. Talk to this NPC, talk to that NPC, say the magic words... blah! Then, create piss-ant tailored item after piss-ant tailored item. My mouse hand get's plenty of exorcise already, thank you. And, what did I get when I was done? A pair of weapons that were 1/2 as effective (with no ability bonuses) as the ones I'd already bought in the bazaar.

No, I say farm and trade! Let some other terminally board sucker follow the stupid quests. Or, show me a list of the rewards for each quest so that I can choose which ones I think are worth it. I do practically nothing on "faith" that it will be worth my while. (You guys should know that about me by now.)

As far as PL'ing, I do pretty well on my own (as evidenced by the fact that my mage is already 8th level.

I primarily enjoy the group sessions. My main concern about power leveling is to get characters up to a level that they can group with others. I think it sucks that lower level characters get screwed on XP when they group with high level characters. Maybe a proportional distribution system would be better.

Bob's cat

hee hee

New postby Bob's cat » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:49 am

Bill can point you to a website that has spoiler info on the quests,
so you can check out the reward and requirements in advance.
...and yes the newbie quest weapons suck. Base velium weapons
should be fairly cheap and are far better. I no longer have the site
bookmarked and doubt I can correctly spell it :)

Anyway, the newbie quest armor requires stuff which drops off
the mobs you should have been hunting (including no drop trash
which you probably left, since it can't be sold). However, like Ogi
I never played a kitty.

In general... the quests suck... many quests are broken... the quest
rewards (cash, item and/or XP) tend not to be worth the effort...
but some are still worth doing.

AND anytime you need to work on your wrists muscles, just try one
of the various trade skills (you weenie mouser)

As far as farm/trade go, don't forget to check the NPC vendors. You
can sometimes find good stuff far cheaper than the bazaar OR stuff
that sells well (spider[ling] webs and the like).

New postby Bill » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:33 am

Ah, poor Bob. All that tradeskilling before the nifty new tradeskill UI which now auto-combines recipes for you (as long as components are in your inventory) with the click of a button, auto-inventories the finish products with the click of the button next to it AND provides lists of recipes customizable by trivial range, all simply by clicking open the sewing kit, forge, jewelry kit, fletching kit or what-have-you. Very neat-o! 8)

Bud, as for quests, some are pretty poor and some are excellent. Nearly all are ranked at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/ by the very players who have completed them. They give the full spoiler with the final reward (linked at the bottom of the page before commentaries). :wink:

Oh, gotta go back a few posts and ding Tterrell again (28th).

Bob's other cat

Hee hee

New postby Bob's other cat » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:26 pm

...I read there were some broken combines which did not work under the
new UI (and that CEs may still be "broken"). Apparently, the last patch
fixed most of the problems with it. Guess thats a good thing. LOL, made
well over 100K pp with tradeskills. Dump most of it back into tradeskills,
but had some nice twinks out of it 8)

The last patch also fixed some stuff associated with "recommended level"
items. Apparently, things are now scaling down based on your level vs.
the recommended level (worn effects and weapon damage). Could cause
all kinds of havoc with twink items :twisted:

Hmmm, did they ever fix the item descriptions to indicate at what level a
weapons proc would start working ? When I bailed, my lvl 32 necro's
staff would not proc (I think it procs at 45).

LOL, don't knock that newbie armor. When I bailed, my lvl 20 SK had
newbie armor, SBS, a quest mask, GM event gloves, a trash bow, and
a cheap bazaar sword. I had previously stripped all the droppables and
given them to Bill's cleric. Poor toon looked good, but his AC sucked.
Of course, it was much better than cloth armor :cry:

New postby Bill » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:34 pm

I haven't run into any tradeskilling UI glitches, but I understand they were there. Doesn't matter too much since you can click "Experiment" which turns off the UI and brings up the old 10-slot item with the "Combine" button.

The newbie quests are great if you start your first toon on a different server, as I did on Luclin, since you start with zero money.

New postby Curt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:37 pm

Are you guys going to be on tonight?

Curt

Spumco

Beware of nosegoblyns

New postby Spumco » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:24 pm

Shhhhhh, they are out cow tipping :twisted:

New postby Bill » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:14 pm

For our lvl 10-15 toons, I'd like to suggest a visit to Befallen http://www.eqatlas.com/befallen.html. Lots of undead for Insanctus to play with. 13% exp bonus. Dim, dark and scary. :shock:
To move further into the dungeon requires key drops from certain mobs.
Loads of fun! :)

Befallen

New postby LyleAustin » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:30 pm

I'm game for Befallen. We can get a lot of milage out of it at our current levels.

Pray thee, heed my words. You must needs be carefull how you proceed, as there are pit traps within that will put you behind a locked door. If you can not "Gate" out you will be stuck there until someone who has the key can release you, or a kind Wizard or Druid teleports you out.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:08 pm

Sounds good to me! Fortunately, both of my 10-15 Lvl toons can gate!

BTW: I bought Lost Dungions of Norrath. I'm about to install it now.

New postby Bill » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:07 pm

It seems our LD woes were shared by no one. I threw a few /ooc's around Shadeweavers. Apparently no one else was having our difficulties.

As for the Xev server, the problems Verant was having was up till last fall, the server crashed on a few occassions. To my understanding, they had to replace the hardware, but don't quote me on that. I'm just saying I don't think switching servers will fix a problem like tonight's.

BTW, I did report it as a /bug when I got back online the last time. Since no one else claimed to have the same difficulty, I would guess they won't take it too far. :roll:

/shrug Maybe it was Cox.

Barr dinged 13th just after you left, Bud. 8)

Ah, one other thing I discovered: Shak Dratha spawn during the night hours only. You can't "tell (game) time" when you're on the moon, supposedly have no reference. But that's stupid. Anytime Norrath is in the Shadeweaver sky, it's nighttime on Norrath. 2 Shak's were up when I logged back in but with no one around to assist, I wasn't about to lose my level. heh

Curtis

New postby Curtis » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 pm

I have no intention of switching servers and losing my character.

I had an LD earlier, but none tonight.

BTW, I am good from 7 to 9 your time tomorrow night.

Curt

New postby Bill » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:00 pm

With today's patch, DirectX 9.0 is now required to run EQ.

All you guys are in the software field in one way or another, so you probably know better than I (humble Realtor that I am) how to check your systems for which version you have and how to update it.

Site Admin

DX9

New postby Bud » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:12 pm

DirectX 9 is available via download from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=141d5f9e-07c1-462a-baef-5eab5c851cf5&displaylang=en

WARNING! it is not "uninstallable". So create a system restore point before installing it if you don't already have it.

From XP (at least):

You can see what version of DX you have by running the Direct-X diagnostic tool (Start->Run, enter dxdiag). Don't reinstall it if you already have it.

You can create a restore point by running the system restore wizard and selecting "Create a restore point" (Start -> Help and Support -> Undo changes to your system with System Restore). Just follow the wizard's directions.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:14 pm

PS: I'm actually in the hardware field. I looked it up in help.

:wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming