LotR Online

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.

LotR Online

New postby Mark » Sun May 20, 2007 11:05 pm

Hello gang,

The 2 servers I am currently on are Brandywine and Gladden.

My Highest level toon in a 11th level Champion on Gladden.

I also have a low level Hobbit named Rika on Brandywine. He is a Minstral (aka healer/Buffer)

New postby Mark » Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 am

One more thing, If you want to join my hobbit toon you will need to create a human or hobbit character. Elfs and dwarfs start at a different area.

Or we can create dwarfs and elfs just let me know what you want to do.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue May 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks for showing me around a bit the other day, Mark. It helped me become more familiar with the game quicker.

So far, LotRO is pretty good as fantasy games go. It seems to require a lot less homework then EQ/EQ2 ever did. It's not quite as mindless as CoH (which I still greatly prefer). You do have to read the text of the quests (where as you can completely ignore the mission details in CoH), but you can use the "bold print" method which is better then EQ/EQ2.

However, it does do one of the two things that piss me off in a MMORPG. It makes you wander all over the goddam place trying to find where to go to complete quests. I realize that the designers want you to explore their virtual world, but I really hate wasting hours looking for something that I can't find. It's frustrating and boring.

The other thing that pisses me off is farming. I suppose the potential for that is there if you wanted to fool around with crafts, but so far I think you get more XP quicker by finishing quests then you do farming.

We'll see. I'll play it a while longer and see if it gets better or worse.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 pm

You SLUT!!! When were you going to tell me that you were playing yet ANOTHER online game?!

Gah! I leave the state for a little while and you start running around with all sorts of floozies.

Curt

Bud wrote:Thanks for showing me around a bit the other day, Mark. It helped me become more familiar with the game quicker.

So far, LotRO is pretty good as fantasy games go. It seems to require a lot less homework then EQ/EQ2 ever did. It's not quite as mindless as CoH (which I still greatly prefer). You do have to read the text of the quests (where as you can completely ignore the mission details in CoH), but you can use the "bold print" method which is better then EQ/EQ2.

However, it does do one of the two things that piss me off in a MMORPG. It makes you wander all over the goddam place trying to find where to go to complete quests. I realize that the designers want you to explore their virtual world, but I really hate wasting hours looking for something that I can't find. It's frustrating and boring.

The other thing that pisses me off is farming. I suppose the potential for that is there if you wanted to fool around with crafts, but so far I think you get more XP quicker by finishing quests then you do farming.

We'll see. I'll play it a while longer and see if it gets better or worse.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed May 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Curt wrote:You SLUT!!! When were you going to tell me that you were playing yet ANOTHER online game?!

Gah! I leave the state for a little while and you start running around with all sorts of floozies.

Curt

:shock: OMG! Curt's still alive! :shock:
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Wed May 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Bud wrote:...things that piss me off ...all over the goddam place... I really hate wasting hours. It's frustrating and boring.
... thing that pisses me off...better or worse.

You, my friend, are an expert ranter and this should be added to your Rants thread as well. :wink:

BTW, when did you try EQ2? I don't recall you mentioning that before.

I'm downloading LotRO files now. I'll be online later today and post my toon name(s) and server(s) here (will try to get on the ones you mentioned, Mark).

OMG, was that a CURT SIGHTING?!?!?! :shock:

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Bill wrote:
Bud wrote:...things that piss me off

this should be added to your Rants thread as well.

:? Dude,... that's what you call a "mixed" review. If it was a rant, there'd have been MUCH more pissing and moaning. :P

BTW: All my toons are on Brandywine.

I played EQ2 for a while when it first came out. The graphics were awesome, but it was EVEN WORSE for making you wander aimlessly.

:puke:

Now, if I had some friends who'd been playing for years and had wealthy toons who'd max'd out their levels who were willing to show me around and get me past all that pointless meandering I might renew my account. Who knows?

I enjoy teaming and doing quests, but I have less-then-zero interest in farming, crafting, and generating wealth. I spend all my time in real life doing that stuff. WTF would I play a game to do it?
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Wed May 23, 2007 2:48 pm

On Brandywine...

Geddilee, Hobbit Burglar
Tandayan, Elf Lore-master
Bronthir, Man Champion
Last edited by Bill on Sat May 26, 2007 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed May 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Added them to my friends on my main. Mine are:

Brandywine:

Tilton,* Man Champion
Heffe, Dwarf Guarian
Silarean, Elf Hunter

*My Main
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 am

Bud,

Anytime you want to get back on and play EQ2, let me know. I can twink the living hell out of you and the changes made to the game since introduction are massive. There are still quests that you need to do, but I can do a lot of them by memory at this point.

That pretty much goes for any of you that what to give EQ a try. The level cap is going to 80 right about the time I go on sabbatical, so that should be fun. The family has a set of Fae toons that we started that just hit 42 and Kaflor and Aum have been 70 for a while. we have tradeskills that will cover any food, armor, weapn needs well into 40 so no worries there.

The game now is NOT the game that you guys last played for the most part, but the basic premise is still there....get quest, complete quest, make toon more Uber. They did something called quest 'lines' that do annoy the hell out of me, but the rewards are uber and for the most part you do have fun trying to complete them. Example.....I am working on a line called the Qeynos Claymore that is a series of 25 quests. You get rewards as you go, but the last reward is a uber fabled weapon or shield.

Anyways.....would love to see any of you join back up, but understand if you don't. I will be closing my WoW account shortly....maybe I will look at reactivating CoH....god knows they send me enough 'special offers' to do so.

BTW....{moved -Bud}

Curt

New postby Jeff » Thu May 24, 2007 7:10 pm

Have A great time guys.
I checked system requirements on
the box and have successfully
bought a computer below those requirements.
8)

Truely.

I'll have to stop by Bill's and see his toons one day.
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

New postby Mark » Mon May 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Hey guys, I have been playing LotR a lot the last few day . I really love the story lines quests, It does make some of them a pain because you have to run around a lot, however the rewards are usually good.

Brandywine seams to have become the server of choice, there is always a min or so wait to get on anymore. Bill and Bud if you, and or anyone else, are interested in playing online together we could move to another server. Although I did join a guild on Brandywine called "Last Alliance". The guild is huge and there seams to always be several players online, even at 2am.

New postby Bill » Mon May 28, 2007 7:15 pm

Mark wrote:Hey guys, I have been playing LotR a lot the last few day .

You must be playing some other toon (other than Rika) then because I've been on much of this weekend and haven't seen any other friends on. I only have Rika and Bud's 3 toons on Brandywine listed.

New postby Mark » Mon May 28, 2007 8:52 pm

My Toon List for Brandywine is as follows:

- Calbur - Hunter (Human) Male
- Rika - Minstrel (Hobbit) Male
- Rodale - Champion (Dwarf)
- Breewin - Burgler (Human) Female
- Athira - Guardian (Elf) Female

Add Them to your friends list

New postby Bill » Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 am

Mark wrote:Add Them to your friends list

Done. Thanks.

Next