Guild Wars?

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.

Guild Wars?

New postby Mark » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Has anyone tried Guild Wars yet?
It looks like a interesting game.

New postby Bill » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:59 pm

I, for one, have not, Mark.

Let us know what you find out about GW.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:54 am

No, but I picked up a WoW 14-day trial disk last weekend.

New postby Mark » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:10 am

Well I bought Guild Wars last night and played it for a little bit before having to go to bed.

There is no monthly service charge to play the game. Just buy the box set and off you go. However, what I was told is that the game creators will be releasing a new expansion every 3-4 months witch you will have to buy to get the new content.

It looks pretty cool. It is very similar to EQ2 or Liniage2, with a few differences. At the moment there is only one race (humans) but there are 5 classes in the base game. You can play a Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Necromancer, Mesur or Elementalist. One of the unique this is that you also get to pick a subclass witch is any of the other main classes. So you can have a Warrior/Monk, a Mesur/Ranger, a Ranger/Necro or any of the others. Your Primary class determines what kind of armor and weapons you can and what skills you get. But you get some of the skills/spells from you secondary class as well. For example I created a Range/Mesur, so his primary skill is with the bow but he also gets some spells that a Mesur would get. (Mesur’s are similar to EQ enchanters I believe I am writing this with only an hour of game play so I could be full of crap.)

Anyway, while in the town the game is multi player. You see lots of players running around the towns, but when you leave the towns the game becomes a single player game. However, if you form a group with other players in town you will stay together when you leave. So the whole world is like an instance adventure that you can solo in or adventure with a group of friends. You do not have to worry about other players camping your area or getting attacked by others players.

There appears to be tons of NPC walking around that will hand out quests for you and several wondering mobs as well. One nice feature I found was that once you find a safe place like a town or an area that is considered to be in town you can open your map and instantly travel there by double clicking that location on the map. So you do not have to run cross country if you do not want to.

Like I said I have only played it for about 1 hour so I am by not means an expert yet. It looks interesting and I will have to keep playing with it.

New postby Bill » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks for the initial appraisal, Mark.

Sounds like GW has great graphics (very similar to EQ2) and the no-monthly-service-charge attribute is definitely attractive.

Only one race and 5 classes though? That seems rather limited. Dual-classes expand that, but only a little. Maybe it's better than it sounds.

The "EZ" Travel feature sounds great! :wink:

New postby Mark » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:58 am

Hello again.

I have some more information about Guild Wars for you.

Like I said above there are 5 classes in the base game, each expansion, so far, has added 2 more classes. Each expansion has also added a new part of the world, I think they are supposes to be different continents or something like that. I do not think they are connected but there may be a way to go from one to the other.

Each class has 5 skill groups which are called attributes in the game. 1 of the 5 groups is called the Primary Attribute, which is only accessible by a character with that class as their main class. So a Warrior/Ranger would not have access to the Rangers Primary Attribute skills, but would have access to all the other Ranger skills.

Skills can be bought from skill trainers or can be rewards for completing quests. There are several skills for each attribute list, so it is possible for a character to have dozens for skills at higher levels. However, here is the rub; each character can only have access to 8 skills at a time. So you need to plan ahead. While in towns and outposts you can pick and choose which skills you want to use, but once in the wild areas you can not change them until you return to a town or outpost.

Return to Gaming