Lineage 2

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.

Lineage 2

New postby Mark » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:52 pm

Hello everyone,

For the last week I have been trying out the online game Lineage 2, and I thought I would share some pics and comments on the game. I am going to at least play for my free month trial and see what happens from there on. So I will add some more information and pics to this thread in the coming weeks.

This is my character Fortalon, a human fighter. Sorry the image is a little dark but I took the picture and night. This is a picture of him when he was around level 7.

The character generator is pretty simple and limited. You can choose 1 of 5 races to play - Human, Dark Elf, Orc, Dwarf or Elf. You can only modify the character hair, hair color and face. There are usally 3-6 options for each one so most characters look alike at first. But like EQ your character appeance will change with each new peice of armor you equip.

New postby Bill » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:43 am

Thanks for sharing that, Mark. Looking forward to your further commentary on L2. Have you mostly soloed or is there much grouping? Didn't you mention to me that it's largely PvP?

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:16 am

...and where's the pic of the slutty dark elf?

:devil:

New postby Mark » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:22 am

Hello again friends,

Here is another Picture on my hero Fortalon taking on a wolf at level 5.

I really love the graphics of this game. The designers have done a great job rendering the models and the landscape. There are a few stupid things that happen however.
For example the transition form day to night is really bad. One second its light the next its dark like someone turned off the lights. But the transition form night to day is pretty normal. It gets lighter and lighter until it's full day light. No one I have asked knows why that happens but has appearantly always been in the game.

There also appears to be no weather the days are all the same like in CoH. However I have not been out of the starting area yet, so I do not know if it's the same in all areas. Most playes tell me I should wait untill level 18-20 to head to the main land areas.

New postby Mark » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:58 am

Hehehe... :D

Ok, ok Bud and now presenting for you enjoyment the Slutty Dark Elf.

This is the Female Dark Elf model.....hey guys the writing is down here.....Hello?

Anyway,
Yes Bill this an all PvP(player vs player) game. However, they have done the PvP rules pretty good so there is not a ton of PKing. That being said, Fortalon has been PK'ed 5 times so far in the game, 3 on the very first day.

The rules are like this.
PVP & KARMA

All players start the game with a white name and zero karma. Your karma can change as you fight other people, below is a list of how the Karma colour system works;

White attacks White = Player goes Purple
White attacks Purple = White player goes Purple
Purple attacks Purple = Timer keeps getting reset and you stay Purple
Any color attacks Red= Nothing happens to anybody that Attacks a Red player

Now on to the Kills:

White Kills white = (this cannot happen because as soon as a white attack another player they turn purple)
Purple Kills White = They turn Red and gain 240 karma
Red Kills Purple = Gains NO Karma
Red Kills White = Gains another 240 Karma

Now on to Deaths:

Red, Purple, White all loose 10% exp no matter what color.

Red when they die loose more items
Purple loose some
White loose almost none

How to work off bad Karma:

This all depends on lvls.

At lower levels, you will burn Karma at a slower rate. You will need to kill mobs that are your level or higher to regain Karma points. If you die, you will also lose some Karma.

If you are lvl 4 or below You can not burn Karma points at all when you die, only by killing mobs (In other words you are better off remaking your char.)

For higher lvls, your Karma burns much faster. The higher level mobs give more skill points and better karma.

As you work off your Karma, you gradually go a lighter shade of red, until at under 150 karma points you will turn pink.

That was posted on a F&Q site about Linaege 2. What it does not say is that if a Purple kills a Purple the player stays Purple. So most PK'ers will be white and will just hit you once (turning Purple) and try to get you to hit them back so you turn Purple. Now they can kill you with out going red and suffering any bad side effects.

New postby Bill » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:50 am

Whoa! Those ears make perfect handle bars! :shock:

New postby Mark » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:04 pm

Grrrrr..... My ISP has been down for 2 days!! I am going into extreme online game withdrawls, hehe...

Here is another shot of my toon in the starting human town.

This also shows the Human female model (forground to right) and the female Dwarf (left-the one that looks like a little girl)

The movement and camera movement took a little getting use to. Unlike EQ and CoH you do not use the keyboard to move your character around it is all mouse directed. The camera moves freely in 3 dimensions around you toon by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse, with your character as the pivot point, so it is very easy to see what is going on around you. To move, you left click on the ground in front of you or in the distance and your toon will start moving to that point. The AI is not all that intelligent and you can get stuck on low objects you can walk or run over but this is not a big problem. Your toon will continue to move the selected point until you give him a new point to go to. Since the camera freely rotates its easy to pick a point in any direction.

A right click of the mouse will snap the camera to a spot directly behind your toon looking in the direction he is traveling. If you click the wheel on you mouse it toggles the camera to a front shot looking behind you and another click snaps you back to the rear view. Turning the wheel zooms you in and out.
Last edited by Mark on Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:49 pm

The environment looks a lot like EQ2, but the characters look more like Japanese Manga/Anime. I like the look of it.

New postby Mark » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:59 am

Hello again,

This time I will talk about combat.

Here we see Fortalon exchange blows with a NPC Orc. Lineage 2 combat system is similar to EQ's system but is more dynamic. The combat is automatic in that once you press the attack button your character will stand there and swing his weapon until the end of the fight. The combat animation is much better then EQ, your toon will swing his sword in a few randomly chosen arch so the fight looks more real. However that is not all there is to combat. Your character also has some combat skills that can have a dynamic effect in a fight.

For Fighters, at level 5 you gain access to your first set of skills. Skills are bought (learned) from a trainer of your class type (ie. fighter, mage, etc.) Skills can be passive (always on), active (triggered) or toggled (turn on and off). You buy skills with Skill points. For each mob you kill you will earn experience (XP) and skill points (SP). The amount you earn is dependent on the level of the mob and your level. The harder the mob the more SP you will receive.

In the picture above you can see on the right side that I have the curer over a combat skill called "Power Strike Lv2". This is a skill that allows me to hit a mob for much more damage them a usual attack. Once the skill is used there is a recharge time before I can use it again. Combat skills also use up (MP) movement points. As you can see in the picture this skill will cost me 10 MP to perform. MP's are similar to endurance in CoH you have a set amount based on your level, class and constitution. The pool will regen with time and will regen faster if your toon is sitting. Passive skills, movement and normal combat do not use up any MP's.

Skills come with several power levels, so you can continue to increase there power and effectiveness. However additional power levels come at a higher SK cost and have restricted access based on your characters level. For example, at level 5 fighters can start buying Power strike up to power level 3, each time costing 50(SP). At level 10 you can buy Power Strike lv4 thru 6, each cost 370(SP) and at level 15 you can buy Power Strike lv7 thru 9 for 1,300(SK) each.

New postby Bill » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:04 pm

The more you tell us about it, Mark, the more I think I might just have to try it out.

Are you liking it more and more?

New postby Mark » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Yes I am liking L2 more and more. It is not as deep or as difficult as EQ was but it seams to be a pretty good game. The most annoying part of the game is the Pk’ing, but even that is not as big of a problem as you might think. Most Pk’ers are not all that bright. I mean how smart do you have to be to take a 40+ level toon to the starting town and kill the noobs. I was concerned about this when I first stated because I was having bad PK flash backs to Ultama Online when pk’ing was out of control.

New postby Mark » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:29 am

There are some really awsome L2 videos at there main site

http://www.lineage2.com/pds/pds_movie.html

Check them out.

New postby Bill » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:13 am

Cool! Good teasers. Does NCSoft offer any package discount since we also play CoH?

Return to Gaming