Teamspeak

This forum is for discussions on Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, Chess, and other games that ease the pain of being an aging geek.
Site Admin

Teamspeak

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:37 pm

Well, I tried Teamspeak last night. It worked pretty well. The voices were pretty clear and there was no real background noise. Of course, I got dumped from Planetside the first time I fired it up, but I'm not sure why. Anyway, I think it might be useful to us - especially to those who don't type so quickly (or don't pay very close attention their chat windows). :) It would also be good to hear everybody's voices.

You can download the client program from: http://www.goteamspeak.com. You'll need a microphone. I recommend a good set of headphones w/mic (I picked up a nice set Altec Lansing's from Best Buy, but they were kind of expensive). The issue will be findingn a server. We'd probably have to pay for a server connection from someone listed on the Teamspeak site.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby LyleAustin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:44 pm

I've tried voice communications software with Bill and another acquaintance of ours while playing EverQuest, and I just wasn't happy with the result. Lag and traffic conjestion just didn't make it very practical. I'm going to pass.

New postby LyleAustin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:49 pm

I'll tell you what, I'll download it and install it on my machine. I'll try it tonight. But if there's too many problems, I'm going to remove it from my system.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:05 pm

I don't know if I would recommend it w/EQ, but it might be OK with CoH. However, if we're gonna try it to night, we need a server. Do you have one in mind?
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby LyleAustin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:18 pm

Bud wrote:I don't know if I would recommend it w/EQ, but it might be OK with CoH. However, if we're gonna try it to night, we need a server. Do you have one in mind?

Bud, this is your baby. You're the TeamSpeak expert and the one pushing the technology. I kind of assumed you were providing the server or recommending the server we use.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:45 pm

LyleAustin wrote:You're the TeamSpeak expert and the one pushing the technology.

Hm... I'm not sure if I'd say either of those statements were accurate. :)

Actually, I didn't figure we'd do anything with it this week (since I'm sure several people will need microphones) and I haven't figured out the server situation yet. I will figure it out before next week though.

I was just looking for feedback on the idea.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Mark » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:56 am

Well i will download it and intall the software, but will need to get a head set still. Money is tight right now so not sure wehn i will be able to pick up a set.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:42 pm

Potential Teamspeak servers: (Recording this here before I decide which to use).

$3/mo - http://www.fusednetwork.com/html/ts.php
$4.5/mo - http://teamspeak.serverroom.us/
$5/mo - http://www.teamspeakhost.com/pricing.php
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:27 am

OK. Mark and Lyle have replied, but nothing from Jeff, Bill, or Curt. Is there any interest in Teamspeak? Is there any point in me getting a server?

:?:
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Mark » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:28 am

Not at this point Bud, at least not for our group yet.

New postby Curt » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:49 pm

I am actually interested in it. I will need to get a mute button so all the 'Jackass' comments don't get through. :lol:

Curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:01 pm

Curt wrote:I will need to get a mute button so all the 'Jackass' comments don't get through.

Well, if you don't let a 'Jackass' use the microphone... Oh, wait. :oops:

:devil:
-Richard Dawkins

Curtis

New postby Curtis » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Takes one to know one..... :P :lol:

Curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:06 pm

OK, so both Curt and Mark have expressed an interest in Teamspeak. Let me know when you guys get microphones and I'll get a server.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:06 am

Can anyone suggest a place to get a good headset/mic?

Curt

Next

Return to Gaming