Car Shopping

This forum is for discussions about cars, racing and anything you can pilot yourself.

Car Shopping

New postby Jeff » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Bud which cars have you test driven?

What did you think of them?

BTW, the test drive and walking away without buying got
a much better deal for us, but I understand the Robert's
autobroker can really help with getting exactly what you
want.
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

Site Admin

Re: Car Shopping

New postby Bud » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 pm

(I split this post to its own topic.)

Jeff wrote:Bud which cars have you test driven?

What did you think of them?

We've driven the VW Passat CC, which I really like... even in the "Sport" trim. I love the looks, I love the interior, I like the way it drives, and I like the gas mileage. But, it has a 2-liter turbo that has a bit of a dead spot in the throttle pedal between 10-20% that Jerri doesn't like. It wouldn't bother me much, because it scoots once if you apply a little more Right foot. But, she's the one who'll drive it regularly. Also, her first impression was that it is a little "too grown up" for her tastes. (I think she just doesn't like the looks as well as I do.)

So, to get away from "grown up", we test drove the Mazdaspeed 3, which I immediately redlined in first gear pulling out of the dealer's driveway. I loved the engine in that car (also a 2-liter turbo, IIRC, but tuned completely differently). The Speed-3 is a well known "hot hatch" that is an absolute blast to drive, it's got great "boy-racer" looks, definately not at all grown up. Unfortunately, the interrior is really cheap looking and the ride is a great for handling, but a bit stiff for long road trips.

We also drove a Subaru Legacy 2.5i (that's the base model, they didn't have any others on the lot). I like the mileage in this car too, and I like the Legacy line in general for a mid-sized sedan. I was really curious about this car because it has a CVT in it. Normally, I'd never want a CVT because they tend to run like golf carts. The engine revs like hell without going anywhere and stays at high revs. But, I was pretty impressed with this one. There's a little bit of that CVT rev-lag, but instead of just staying at high revs, it has virtual gears. It actually has paddle shifters on the steering column and it "upshifts" as you accelerate, taking descrete steps in gear ratios. I was very pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, it is too heavy a car for the 2.5 Litre boxer motor and is a bit of a pooch. Also, I'd want a higher trim line with leather interior and possibly the turbo or 6-cyl motor.

So far, the biggest surprise to me has been the Hyundai Sonata. Every instinct I have says that's a cheap Korean car that I should not go near. However, the research data says something quite different. It's rated one of the highest (higher than Honda, and Toyota, and Mercedes) for reliability, safety, and owner satisfaction. (I encourage you to research Hyudai.) I haven't driven one yet, but I like the looks, I love the features and the gas mileage, and I can get one in the top of the line Limited trim for less than a base-model Legacy. I'm just blown away. I definately have to test drive one.

We're waiting for the Subaru dealer to get the higher-trim Legacys in stock. (I"d really like a Legacy GT, but I'd also kinda' think we should have one car that's an automatic.) And, I'm researching a few others as I have time . Also, I haven't completely decided to get rid of the Scooby just yet. I may spend my Scooby bucks fixing it up and keep it a while. Unfortunately, if I do that, it needs several things (like some body work and suspension work) that I'd either have to do myself or spend real money to get it done. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. Since I just payed off the 'Vette, it'd be nice to not have a payment for a couple of years.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:40 am

Hey Bud,

You should take a look at the Nissan Altima and the Volvo C30 as well. I gave very serious consideration to both of those cars, but in the end I went with the 3 since I thought that would be a better car to hand down to Cody.

Careful on the Hyundai. There were two recalls recently and the last one affected every single new style Sonata sold (steering issue)

Do you guys really need a 4 door? What about the Genesis coupe? Yeah I know, I warn you about a Hyundai in one breath and then recommend one in the next.

Not interested in the WRX? guessing it just looks to beautiful? :P

What about the Ford Fusion Sport? I am not a fan of the 3 bar grill, but the rest of the car is pretty nice. Personally I am leaning towards the new Mustang GT, but I doubt that would be to Jerri's taste.

Any chance there are any leftover G8's in your area? Those are damn fine cars.

If you are looking for smaller cars, the Focus ST is supposed to be showing up towards the end of the year or early next year. That will have a ~250hp motor.

BTW, the speed3 has a 2.3 turbo motor.

Ok, done rambling

curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Thank you for join us for today's program. This has been "Random Automotive Ramblings", buy Curt McConnell. :lol:

Curt wrote:Nissan Altima and the Volvo C30 as well.

We don't want a Nissan (Jerri's had bad experiences) or a Toyota (we've had two leak from the main seal at 60k mi). I was looking at th C30, but havn't gotten into the details yet. Jerri was very dissapointed in an S80 rental we drove once, so I'm thinking the C30 will have to be something special to convince her.

Curt wrote:Careful on the Hyundai. There were two recalls recently and the last one affected every single new style Sonata sold (steering issue)

I read about that on Reuters. Steering columns seperating from the rack with complete inabilty to steer. The fix was a software upgrade and an inspection. WTF? Not quite sure what to make of that. It's the only negative news I've heard about Hyundai recently, but it's a biggie.

Curt wrote:Not interested in the WRX? guessing it just looks to beautiful? :P

Nope. No leather, no purchase. I'm sick of cheap economy car interiors. Looking at a Legacy GT, Limited, or even Outback Limited. But, whatever it is, it's gotta' have a nice leather interior (look a the VW CC's interior - it's quite nice). Plus, I'd like over 30 MPG on the freeway and Jerri hated the turbo lag on Michelle's car.

Curt wrote:Do you guys really need a 4 door? What about the Genesis coupe? Yeah I know, I warn you about a Hyundai in one breath and then recommend one in the next.

Yep! Gotta' have 4 doors. We already have a 2-seater. Though, I do like the Genesis coupe's looks, I don't think Hyundai knows how to make a sports car handle.

Curt wrote:What about the Ford Fusion Sport? I am not a fan of the 3 bar grill, but the rest of the car is pretty nice. Personally I am leaning towards the new Mustang GT, but I doubt that would be to Jerri's taste.

I"m not really a Ford guy, but I'm not realy a badge whore either. I do like the new Fusion, I just haven't looked into it much yet. I will, though. Jerri does like the Mustang, but we already have 1 sports car. Plus there's mileage thing, 4 doors, etc.

Curt wrote:Any chance there are any leftover G8's in your area? Those are damn fine cars.

G8's are cool, but they get crappy mileage. We don't really need another big V8. Now, if gas was $1/gal it'd be a differn't story.

Curt wrote:If you are looking for smaller cars, the Focus ST is supposed to be showing up towards the end of the year or early next year. That will have a ~250hp motor.

Naw... I really want a midsized sedan. I'm tired of shitty little compacts. But, I'll take a look out of curiosity.

Curt wrote:BTW, the speed3 has a 2.3 turbo motor.

Ah... thanks. I wasn't sure. Strong, whatever it is. I loved it (and remember, I drive a 400hp/400lbft V8.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:39 am

Some other cars that popped into my head (not sure what your budget is).

Acura TSX or TL
BMW 3 series (335 is nice)
Infinity G37
Lexus IS
Mercedes C class
Audi A4
Buick Regal (don't laugh, nice looking car in and out)
Buick LaCross (see above)

Curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 am

Curt wrote:Acura TSX or TL
BMW 3 series (335 is nice)
Infinity G37
Lexus IS
Mercedes C class
Audi A4
Buick Regal (don't laugh, nice looking car in and out)

I kinda' like both Acuras, particularly the TL, but Jerri doesn't want anything by Honda. I'd like either a BMW or a Merc, but, looking at the reliability data, I think the popularity of German cars in the last few years has hurt their quality. Of course, I've gotta' go drive them anyway - just to be sure. :) I don't really want an a G (and Jerri doesn't want a Nissan). Both Jerri and I like the IS, but it's a little expensive for what it is (and it's a Toyota, see above). The Audi A4 is definately on the list. In fact, if I could, I 'd like to get an Audi TDI. Unfortunately, I only see those in wagon form (which I'd actually consider). Of course, if I do that, I've got to compare it to the VW Jetta TDI wagon. I hadn't thought about Buick. I'll have to check them out. However, I think it'll be a long time (if ever) before I buy another GM. The electronic and AC trouble I've had on this 'Vette (not to mention a water pump going out at about 40k) is unacceptible. I don't trust The General any more.

Good stuff, keep 'em coming!
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 am

Jetta TDi. Redesigned for 2011my

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2011/volkswa ... nding.html

Curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Dude,... dig this:

Suburu WRX STi Limited

That's the car I wanted 5 years ago.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Curt wrote:Buick Regal (don't laugh, nice looking car in and out)

You're right, those are both nice looking. Unfortunately, Regal is a little underpowered (needs about 60 more HP) and the LaCross is a bit heavy. I doubt either of them would be as fun to drive as a Legacy GT.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:58 pm

WRX STi is pretty in a hot bitch sort of way, but I thought you were
looking for automatic transmission this time.
Jeff

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:07 am

Jeff wrote:I thought you were looking for automatic transmission this time.

I'd prefer one. It makes sense for one of our cars to be an auto. (Jerri and I have both had broken legs at one point or another and were unable to drive because both of our cars were manual.). However, I'd make an exception for the right car (such as, maybe the Legacy GT).

I don't know. Part of me things we should fix up the Red Imp, maybe do a little customizing to "refresh" it, and stick with it for a few more years. If we put a few grand into it, it would last a few more years.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:32 pm

2 questions:

Question1.
In fixing up the RedImp, would that satisfy both you and Jerri?

Question2.
Where the F*** is Mr Bill on this topic?

He is the luxury car man, if any of us could be called one.
Jeff

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Jeff wrote:In fixing up the RedImp, would that satisfy both you and Jerri?

That's an excellent question. I've been contemplating that myself. I'll try to post some thoughts later.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 am

Look at the Evolution with the SST. I believe the SE would be up your alley. Automated manual.....best of both worlds. It is an econo-box interior though.

Curt

New postby Curt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Buick has apparently announced a GS version of the regal with 260hp and AWD.

Looking for info on it, but pretty sparse so far.

http://www.buick.com/vehicles/regal-gs.html

Curt

edit: found official link

Next

Return to Cars, Racing, & other forms of auto-motion