Phoenix Grand Prix - Champ Car

This forum is for discussions about cars, racing and anything you can pilot yourself.
Site Admin

Phoenix Grand Prix - Champ Car

New postby Bud » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:41 pm

Grand Prix Arizona

November 30-Dec2, 2007.

Dallas is talking about trying to get a hotel room on the course, partying the night before the race, and watching the race from a balcony or some such thing.

Anybody else interested?
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:45 am

Oooo! That looks like fun. 8) Count me in for the race. Probably meet you guys at the hotel or something, if you decide to do that.
:thumbsup: :drive: :rockin: :banana:

Do we know any of the drivers in that series?

New postby Curt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Hmmmm......I will be on sabatical......might have to bring the family down.

curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:23 pm

Well,... we were talking about hiring strippers, but if you can get Michelle to do it I promise to tip well.

:lol:
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:39 pm

I will let you know what she says. :lol:

Curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:55 pm

Grand Prix Arizona tickets are now on sale

PHOENIX (July 1, 2007) - Tickets are now on sale for the inaugural Grand Prix Arizona. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.com; all Ticketmaster retail outlets and Ticketmaster charge by phone at 1-480-784-4444.

The three-day festival of speed and entertainment to be held November 30 - December 2, 2007 will feature the season-ending race in the Champ Car World Series, Champ Car Atlantic, a Pro-Celebrity race, Formula Drift and a Historic Grand Prix race. The December 2 Champ Car World Series race will feature open-wheel cars reaching speeds of up to 180 miles per hour around a 2.087-mile, 16-turn temporary street course through the heart of downtown Phoenix encompassing US Airways Arena, Chase Field and the Warehouse District.

In addition to the on-track activity, Grand Prix Arizona will be the first major motorsports event to go "green" and include a "green" expo by Earthshift ‘07; the event schedule will also include a free street party featuring concerts with superstar acts. More details will be released on the star-studded line-ups for these events and separate tickets will be available for purchase.

"Our advance ticket sales have been very strong," said Grand Prix Arizona President and Chief Executive Officer Jim Freudenberg. "From the initial feedback, we anticipate strong public ticket sales as well," he said.

Ticketing options that are available include:

Pit Lane VIP Club

An incredible view of all of the pit lane action is yours in this fabulous trackside suite. Individual tickets are available for $950 which includes a three- day ticket, paddock access, food and beverages and valet parking. If you purchase a group of 10 or more tickets, you receive a discount price of $850 per ticket.

Reserved Grandstand Seats

$99---Two-day reserved seating with a three-day admission ticket (Friday is unreserved seating) which includes paddock access on all three days.

$40--Saturday only reserved seat includes paddock access.

$75--Sunday only reserved seat includes paddock access.

Trackside viewing and paddock access (no seat)

$20--Saturday only

$30-Sunday only

$40--Saturday and Sunday

Family Fun Pack

$100-Sunday only four tickets to the Family Grandstand in Turn 4 and free admission to the Family Fun Zone.

About Grand Prix Arizona

Grand Prix Arizona will be an action-packed, three-day festival of speed held in downtown Phoenix featuring major rock concerts, a "green" Expo by Earthshift ‘07, a Taste of Phoenix and a free street party. The three-day event, November 30 - December 2, 2007, is projected to attract more than 150,000 spectators. It will be highlighted by the internationally televised Grand Prix Arizona Champ Car World Series race featuring top competitors; including 2006 series champion Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junqueira, Paul Tracy and others. Race teams include Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, owned by legendary actor and auto racing icon Paul Newman. Past series champions include Al Unser, Jr. (1990 and 1994), Michael Andretti (1991), Bobby Rahal (1992), Jimmy Vasser (1996), Tracy (2003) and Bourdais (2004, 2005 and 2006). For information regarding Grand Prix Arizona, please visit http://www.grandprixarizona.com/
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:54 pm

Count me in for Sunday trackside tickets ($30). 8)

BTW, my dad was one of the Unser (Bobby?) brothers' flight instructor, oh so many years ago.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Here's the: event schedule

I'll probaby go both Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure if I'll do the reserved seats yet or not.[/url]
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Here's the track map that shows where the grandstands are. I'm thinking GS1, 2, 3, or 4 shold bb pretty good, with a preference for GS1.

BTW: The ticket prices have dropped a little. Check the site for the latest.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 pm

NOOOOOOOooooooo!!! :cry:

Grand Prix Arizona canceled

The Arizona Republic
Aug. 29, 2007 12:00 AM
The Grand Prix Arizona maneuvered past many political obstacles, but financial pressures ultimately blocked the race, organizers and observers say.

On Tuesday, organizers announced that they would cancel the three-day Champ Car race event set for downtown Phoenix this fall. An estimated 1,000 ticket holders would get full refunds, they said. The race could be staged next year, they said.

Grand Prix Arizona was billed as a mega-event that would bring high-adrenaline car racing downtown for the next five years with a projected $65 million in annual economic impact. The two-mile track would have snaked around Chase Field, US Airways Center, Phoenix Convention Center and other landmarks.
advertisement

"The sponsorship levels didn't even come close to what we needed to be able to pull this off the way that we wanted to," said Phoenix businessman Dale Jensen. Jensen, part owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Suns, teamed up with business partner Brad Yonover to orchestrate the event.

Grand Prix lost its title sponsor, First Data Independent Sales Fresno, earlier this year and was unable to find a replacement.

The race also had trouble enticing other corporate sponsors as well, Jensen said.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0829racetwo0829.html :furious:

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:52 pm

So, apathy did what NASCRAP corporate corruption could not. :(

Did you read some of the comments? Every day I feel that I have less and less in common with my fellow citizens.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 pm

I didn't bother to read the comments.

It's depressing enough without wondering
why we haven't poured bleach into that end
of the gene pool.

Okay, I read 3 pages of comments and no longer
wish to be civil to those who don't deserve it.
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

New postby Bill » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Bud wrote:Every day I feel that I have less and less in common with my fellow citizens.

Because you are a far superior thinker. Such is our plight, even though it shouldn't be.

Return to Cars, Racing, & other forms of auto-motion