Formula One

This forum is for discussions about cars, racing and anything you can pilot yourself.
Site Admin

Formula One

New postby Bud » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:08 pm

I figured I'd start a thread on F1. Here's an interesting history overview: F1 timeline.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:24 pm

1955: F1 nearly ends before it really gets started.

A Mercedes-Benz sports car, driven by Frenchman Pierre Levegh, crashes into a grandstand area in front of the pits at Le Mans, killing 81 spectators and injuring hundreds more. Mercedes-Benz withdraws from the race.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:33 pm

1965: The beginning of safety in F1
Jackie Stewart is trapped in his car after crashing out of the rain-affected Belgian Grand Prix. This experience would lead him to commence his safety campaign that would eventually transform the sport's attitude to all aspects of driver safety.

But they had a long way to go.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:08 pm

1991: The beginning of the Schumacher era.
Michael Schumacher makes his Formula One debut at Spa in a Jordan, where he qualifies an impressive 7th only to retire right at the start of the race. By the next race, however, he appears driving for Benetton.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Bud wrote:1991: The beginning of the Schumacher era.
Michael Schumacher makes his Formula One debut at Spa in a Jordan, where he qualifies an impressive 7th only to retire right at the start of the race. By the next race, however, he appears driving for Benetton.

2006, the end of the Schumacher era.

Site Admin

2007 Season begins this month!

New postby Bud » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:04 pm

2007 F1 season begins this month!

Bridgestone will be the only tire supplier in F1 from 2007 to 2010.

And I'm more upset about this then I am about Schumacher retiring.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:23 pm

Oh... BTW, immediately following the ALMS 12 hours of Sebring, the F1 season opener is live on Speed as well.

RIGHT NOW!
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Awesome F1 race! As I predicted it's the Kimi Raikkonen show, but Alonso was better then I expected since Mercedes/McLaren struggled so much last year.

Of course, the story of the race was rookie Lewis Hamilton on the podum in his first ever F1 race!

Too bad Scott Speed went out.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 am

Bud wrote:Of course, the story of the race was rookie Lewis Hamilton on the podum in his first ever F1 race!

:shock: Whoa! Welcome to F1 Racing, Lewie! Nice race! :thumbsup:

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Now if they'd just give Scott Speed a real car. Once again he's in last year's left overs.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:26 pm

Congratulations Lewis Hamilton, the 22 year old ROOKIE on grabbing his first Formula 1 pole position at the Canadian Gran Prix!

I'd LOVE to see him get his first win, but he has to beat his teammate the defending champion Fernando Alanzo to do that. I sincerely doubt McLaren/Mercedes will let him do that.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:22 pm

Congratulations Lewis Hamilton on his first career Formula 1 Victory!

Lewis Hamilton won his first F1 victory in 6 races. He now leads the championship over his teammate 2-time world champion Fernando Alonzo (the guy who took the throne from Micheal Schumacher).

This was one of the most amazing F1 races I've ever seen (even if I had to watch it on Fox instead of Speed). I'm going to keep it on disk. If you missed it, I highly recommend you come over for a beer (or 6) and watch it.

This kid is going to be a legend
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:25 pm

Way to go, Lewie! 8)

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Congrats Lewis Hamilton on qualifying on pole at the US Gran Prix today!

Bad news for the competition is that in his 7-race F1 career, he's never finished lower then he qualified (including his pole/win in Canada last week).
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:09 pm

BTW Guys, we definately watched the wrong race the other day. The USGP was freekin' awesome. I've got it on TiVo if anybody wants to see it. Let me know if you're interested 'cause I need to clear the space.
-Richard Dawkins

Next

Return to Cars, Racing, & other forms of auto-motion