Mr. Geek Universe Competition

This forum is for general discussion on topics that do not fall into one of the more specific forums.

New postby Greg Wendt » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:12 am

Actually if you go back to the original posts, Lyle is the only one so far who has admitted to any geek-ness. I merely claimed the Crown of Trivia.

Speaking of Broccoli, the vegetable was first developed by the great great grandfather of Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli, the producer of the Bond series.
"I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

New postby Greg Wendt » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:09 am

Actually if you go back to the original posts, Lyle is the only one so far who has admitted to any geek-ness. I merely claimed the Crown of Trivia.

Speaking of Broccoli, the vegetable was first developed by the great great grandfather of Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli, the producer of the Bond series.
"I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

New postby Bill » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:56 pm

Posting Foul! Double entry of the same message.

5 yard penalty. Repeat the down!

George, you were a write-in vote for the geekness contest. In fact, the obvious one to all of us.

New postby MarkS » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:36 pm

Now I know why we have been having so many hurricanes, broccoli farts.
Mothernature is trying to get the smell off the beaches.

The best geeks are the ones who don't know thay are geeks.
As far as "geek" vs "Trivia Master" , ain't that what a geek is????

no offence to anyone. Having that good a memorie is a great thing. I wish mine whas half as good as that.

:twisted: (Pardon me miss, what did you say your name was????) :twisted:

New postby MarkS » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:38 pm

We do need Blair to weight in on this topic to make it a clean sweep.

(Where o' Where has our little Blair gone?)

New postby LyleAustin » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:50 pm

These are a few examples of Geekness in my early years.

Elementary School

It's really hard to be geeky in grade school. Kids were more interested in having fun and playin on the play ground then worry about social status. But...

I was a champion jump roper; American, Double-Dutch, and Chinese. Also pretty darn good at hop-scotch.

I created my first book of spells in the second grade. I still remember and occasionally use the first spell I wrote in it. (I was bound and determined to be just like Merlin the Magician) I remember the look of horror on the face my catechism teacher when I told her that I was going to be a wizard when I grew up. She told me that the bible said that "You shall not suffer a witch to live. I said, "No, I'm going to be a wizard, not a witch." She said they were the same thing. I never felt quite the same about Catholicism and Christianity since.

Junior/High School

I was the guy who always ran the film strip and movie projectors because I knew how to thread them and how to unjam the projector when the movie would stutter.

Teachers would have me run the mimeograph and ditto machines for them. (Ah, remember the heavenly scent of a fresh ditto?)

Operated the reel to reel Black & White video tape machine.

Used it to create a video presentation on the importance of poetry. (Admittedly, it was a pretty lame presentation with lousy special effects.)

Checked out a tesla coil from the electronics lab and used it to zap my sister when she reached for the door knob.

Built an ultrasonic projector in electronics class and aimed it down the hallway, just to see the uncomfortable expressions on the students from something they couldn't consciously sense.

Was the manager of the wrestling team.

Gave a presentation on Honeybee's in Zoology class that lasted for 1 and a half class periods. (Everybody loved me because I gave them more time to prepare for their presentations.)

In socialogy class we were supposed to give a presentation on a drug. (I think the teacher wanted us to use an illegal one.) I picked Aspirin. Did you know that aspirin was discovered by the german scientist Dr. Baer? Dr. Baer also descovered Heroin which has the chemical formula C21 H23 N1 O5.

On a presentation on anesthestics, I made arrangements to bring in a Doctor of Anestheology who put a mouse to sleep and then brought him back.

I was on the High School Debate Team and participated in the Student Congress exercises.

I was a thespian and performed in school play.

On Halloween I went to classes in costume.

Took a couple of semesters of photography. I was approached by the yearbook committee who needed my negatives to document numerous school events.

I wanted to take the Bachelor Arts class. (It was for boys, covered basics in homemaking for one semester. Housekeeping, Cooking and Sewing) Unfortunately it was real popular and I could never get in. I already knew how to cook, so I took a sewing class instead. (Much to the horror of my mother and sister.) I was the only boy in the class. I got a "B" in the class. (I'm the only one in the family who still sews.)

I first learned computer programming on a Monroe 1880 programmable calculator. It used a 3 digit octal code that was written on optically scanned cards.

Checked out training records from the library to learn Morse Code. (Never did get very proficient in it.)

Learned the greek alphabet.

I carried a briefcase to class. In an attempt to be prepared for any situation, I loaded it for any possible circumstance. (I think I had visions of being 007) First aid kit, rope, a squirt gun filled with ammonia solution (self defense). One day in English class we had a power failure; so I opened my brief case, pulled out a candle and lit it.

First learned calligraphy and old english characters by copying them from a dictionary. (There was several samples of different fonts at the beginning of each letter of the alphabet.)

After classes I'd often go to the library to read. The school librarian would lock me in the library and I'd just let myself out. Never worked as a librarian aide, was too busy reading books to worry about filing them. Did know the Dewey Decimal System and where everything was filed.

I'd bring a volume of the encyclopedia to bed with me each night and would read from it before going to bed.

During summer vacation I'd typically read between 2 to 4 books a day. (If it was a very busy day for me, I'd read only one.)

And now you probably know a good deal more about me than you cared to.

New postby Greg Wendt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:54 am

:shock:

(backing slowly out of room, so as not to make any sudden movements)

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:15 am

:shock: That has to be the scariest thing I've ever read. :shock:

My highschool days are already known by most of the people on this board. Since they remember them better then I do, I won't go into them here.

Here's a few things my friends from highschool may not know.

Graduated with Highest Honors (4.0 GPA)
Scottsdale Community College
Associate of Applied Science
Computer Information Systems.
Member Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society

Graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.86 GPA)
Arizona State University
Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Computer Systems Engineering
Turned down more honors societies invites then most people ever see.

Fried brain in engineering school, and became total moron working as a design engineer.

But I did carry a briefcase to work in a food service job for quite a while. (I ran the department, so I felt justified.)

:P

New postby Greg Wendt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:35 am

Never actively used a briefcase, but had one in closet to store old tax records.

Illinois State University
Bachelor of Science, Communications (Mass Comm series)
GPA: 3.3 (whhop-de-doo)
did however achieve a perfect score in Econ 101 on all tests

Produced Filmspeak, a student movie review show, for 3 semesters and was an officer in the Student Television Workshop (my co-producer and then girlfriend is now a producer on a long running CBS soap).

Won Spring 1992 Short Video competition with "In My Life" video (see yahoo briefcase)

While working at local cable system, directed remote broadcasts of several university jazz concerts and one locally produced play.

Married the Wicked Witch of Willow St, which tossed most of the previous stuff in the crapper. :cry:

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:13 am

Greg Wendt wrote:my co-producer and then girlfriend is now a producer on a long running CBS soap

Ah... a brush with greatness. I once cooked breakfast for Charles Bronson.

:lol:

New postby Greg Wendt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:25 pm

More a case of getting a better internship than I did. Tom Rush, my intership sponsor at Telecable worked on a low budget movie with a small role for future star Lou Diamond Phillips. Now that's a brush.

And don't forget checking in Ozzy's roadies when I worked at La Quinta when he played the State Fair.

New postby nofeedbak » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:51 pm

1984-Started College as a Vocal Music Major
1986-Joined ROTC
1991-Joined the Regular Army
1993- Joined Army Swing Choir in Germany only to find out I can't dance. Started working with sound reinforcement to save job
1996/97 Toured as Sound Tech for Army Production
1998-Current Army Band Sound Tech- Produce CDs and Videos of band and I am subscibed to three internet sound support message boards.
My house has, online, Two Laptops, Two PS2, NIntendo Game Cube, XBox and Two Desktops (Gotta Love Road Runner)
2001-Current Run Sound for my church
Still participate in theater performing arts and help wife direct shows.
Read the Best Buy Ads first on Sunday Morning
Back in School for Radio and TV production
Love "the screensavers" on Tech TV and Morgan Web on XPLAY
Pretty Geeky but not overwhelming

New postby Greg Wendt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:31 pm

Blair!
Pull up a bullard

New postby MarkS » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:45 am

:shock: Wow amazing people, just amazing. :shock:

Great resumes. My turn.

I dinna do nothing good.
I dinna meet nobody
I dinna remember nothing.
You cant prove that was me, and just where did this tattoo, and scar come from?

Who are these kids and just why are thay calling me daddy??

The government told me not to say anything or thay will wipe my memory again.

"It puts the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again."

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:45 am

MarkS wrote:I dinna do nothing good.

Yeah, but you're in Sunny Florida where the weather's always beautiful! :roll: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion