Cell Phones & PDAs

This forum is for general discussion on topics that do not fall into one of the more specific forums.
Site Admin

Cell Phones & PDAs

New postby Bud » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm considering a new cell phone/PDA and I realized that we didn't have a thread for these things. How can we consider ourselves proper geeks if we don't jibber incessantly about hand-held electronic gagets?

This is the one I've had for about 5 years: Samsung SCH-i600
It's one of the first Windows Mobile phones and it's gettign a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade and I believe I've found a replacement.
The AT&T Tilt

This little sucker makes good on the full features where the i600 only gave me a lick and a promise. I may actually keep the data plan with this one since I can download Google maps mobile and have a fully functioning nav system with me at all times.

I'll let you know if I decide to make the switch.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:18 pm

I read all the way thru,
but no stereo headset?
WTF!
Okay, it has lots of bells
and whistle's but will you
actually use any of them?

:?: :?: :?:
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:27 am

JeffHughes wrote:but no stereo headset?
WTF!

I don't mind. I'd rather buy a good one myself anyway. The ones they bundle with phones are not usually all that good.

JeffHughes wrote:it has lots of bells
and whistle's but will you
actually use any of them?

Well, I"m looking forward to the navigation system. I canceled the data service on my current phone years ago because the screen was too small for web browsing and Verizon didn't have the E-mail servers in place. However, I think I might actually use this one. The screen's bigger and the browsers and mobile pages have improved greatly (and the E-mail actually works). I also like the fact that it will let me view and edit office documents. THe keyboard should be handy for that sort of thing.

We'll see.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby MarkS » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 am

How does it stack up to the infamous "iphone"?

or is that like comparing apples to pc's (you thought I was going to say oranges) :D
Here's to drinks that are stiff and conversations that are not

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:29 pm

The iPhone is easier to use and is more entertainment centered. This one is more complex and not as easy to use (but more flexible) and is more business minded. If that makes any sense. It has GPS and navigation capabilities, WiFi (for web browsing and VOIP - if I can find an app for it) and the iPhone does not. It'll also let me edit spreadsheets, Word docs, etc.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Bud wrote:This one is more complex and not as easy to use (but more flexible) and is more business minded. It has GPS and navigation capabilities, WiFi (for web browsing and VOIP - if I can find an app for it).

Sweet! I wonder if I could access our local MLS from it. 8)

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:27 pm

I would think so. We'll have to try it on mine and see how it works.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby MarkS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:44 am

Bud wrote:The iPhone is easier to use and is more entertainment centered. This one is more complex and not as easy to use (but more flexible) and is more business minded. If that makes any sense. It has GPS and navigation capabilities, WiFi (for web browsing and VOIP - if I can find an app for it) and the iPhone does not. It'll also let me edit spreadsheets, Word docs, etc.

Ok, so I am confused. I do understand that the ipod, (nasty little bastard) is more of a toy, accesses the web via cell signal.
The Tilt ONLY uses WiFi for beb browsing? or is that one option. To me is sounds like the Tilt is a better tool.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:10 am

MarkS wrote: I do understand that the ipod, (nasty little bastard) is more of a toy, accesses the web via cell signal.

I assume you meant iPhone, but yes. The iPhone is primarily an entertainment device. It's an iPod (music player) with an integrated cell phone that allows you to browse the web. It has a slick user interface and a nice big screen, but it doesn't have GPS navigation or the ability to edit Microsoft Office documents or external storage for that matter.

The Tilt will also allow you to play music (but the interface isn't quite as slick). It's about the same for web browsing, although I believe the screen may be smaller (I've gotta' check), except that you can browse using either your cell service or your local WiFi wireless network (which should be faster, and will allow you to access things on your PC, local printer, etc).

MarkS wrote: The Tilt ONLY uses WiFi for beb browsing? or is that one option.

It's one of two options: Cell data service or WiFi.

MarkS wrote:To me is sounds like the Tilt is a better tool.

I think so. The iPod is just a bit more fashionable.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby MarkS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Sounds like the Tilt is more versital. I like the idea of using either cell service or WiFi for the net. WiFi will save on cell time.
The Gps is a BIG plus, as is the editing capabilities. (go for it) :D

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:32 pm

I ordered it last night. :wink:
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Curt » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Go go gadget Bud

:D

Curt

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:14 pm

:banana:
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

Phone Upgrade Time

New postby Bud » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Well, my Windows phone is getting a little long in the tooth. I had to wipe it the other day because its memory was full and it wouldn't sync with Outlook. It just can't keep up with today's needs any more (and I paid it off over a year ago, IIRC).

I'm trying to choose between the following:

Apple iPhone 4 - ATT

Motorola Droid X - Verizon

HTC Evo - Sprint

Samsung Galaxy Vibrant - T-Mobile

What do you guys thing?
-Richard Dawkins

New postby MarkS » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 am

Haven't used any of those. But the Droid catches my eye.

Next

Return to General Discussion