Point of View Gun

This forum is for general discussion on topics that do not fall into one of the more specific forums.
Site Admin

Point of View Gun

New postby Bud » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 pm

I thought I'd start a thread where we could post things that we read that illustrate interesting points of view. I make no claim to subscribe to any of these points of view or to agree or disagree one way or the other and neither should you. However, that doesn't make them any less interesting.

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:49 pm

Christianity Harmful to Animals, Says Animal Rights Godfather
By Marc Morano
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
July 01, 2002

CNSNews.com wrote:Princeton University Professor Peter Singer, dubbed the 'godfather' of animal rights, says Christianity is a "problem" for the animal rights movement.

<snip>

Singer rejected what he termed "the standard view that most people hold" -- that "just being human makes life special." He told one questioner from the audience, "I hope that you don't think that just being a biological member of the species homo sapiens means that you do have a soul and being a member of some other species means they don't. I think that would trouble me."

"I am an atheist, I know that is an ugly word in America," he added.

Singer pointed out that the Judeo-Christian ethic teaches not only that humans have souls and animals don't, but that humans are made in the image of God and that God gave mankind dominion over the animals. "All three taken together do have a very negative influence on the way in which we think about animals, " he said.

He explained that his mission is to challenge "this superiority of human beings," and he conceded that his ideas go very much against the grain of a country that mostly still believes in human superiority.

Full article

New postby Jeff » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:32 am

"The trouble with an Open Mind
is that people keep coming along
and sticking things in it."
-Opus Penguin
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:21 pm

JeffHughes wrote:"The trouble with an Open Mind
is that people keep coming along
and sticking things in it."
-Opus Penguin
:roflmao:

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:23 pm

OK this doesn't exactly follow the original stated purpose of this thread, but it's very closely related (perhaps even superseeding the original purpose of this thread). Blame Jeff for the following post. He lent me Arther C. Clarke's "Childhood's End" and good SciFi always get's me thinking theoritically and philosophically.

Human Perception and Reality

Background:

You really should read Plato's Allegory of the cave to get the right point of view for this discussion.
Plato's Allegory of the Cave
Wikkipedia on "The Allegory of the Cave"

Using more a more simplistic anology, I think of reality and human perception like a pie-chart. Reality is what it is, but each of us only percives a small slice of the pie. I don't subscribe to Plato's perfect/mental forms idea, although this is certainly what the scientific mathematical models by which we define so much of the world are). I take a more relitivistic view of reality. We each perceive our own slice of the pie. Those slices may overlap to to some degree, but none of us (no matter how perceptive) has the whole picture. Also, (using more modern physical anologies) I take a Heisenburgean position, saying that sometimes the closer we try to observe something the more likely we are to effect its actual behavior. I also relate this to moral and cultural relativism.

So, putting this all together, is why the world is so screwed up. Mankind, even the wisest among us, only percieves a small fraction of reality. That perception is necessarily flawed and possibly very un-representative of the truth. Add to that, the fact that we all have different perceptions and points of view, and the best that we can hope for is some small common ground on which we can co-exist.

Of course, the interesting stuff occurs on the ground where we don't agree. :wink:
Last edited by Bud on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:55 pm

It's been a long time since I read and Plato.
I'll be back to add my two cents after I brushed up.

Interesting points, By the way.
Jeff

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:10 pm

JeffHughes wrote:It's been a long time since I read and Plato.
I'll be back to add my two cents after I brushed up.

Interesting points, By the way.

So it's been 2 years, Jeff. Did you do your homework yet? :lol:
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Nope.
Completely forgot this thread
was here.
My apologies.
Jeff

Return to General Discussion