Tube Amps and Tubes

This forum is for discussions of music.
Site Admin

Tube Amps and Tubes

New postby Bud » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:57 pm

So, I'm lovin' my new guitar amp. It's a near-boutique-quality Rivera Chubster 40, a 40 Watt all tube amplifier. This thing sounds so much better then a solid-state amp like my 65-Watt Crate (which didn't sound bad, actually, once I figured out how to tune it).

However, this means I, the "Digital Man", am learning about vacuum tubes. So, I thought I'd share some if this info for those who may find it interesting.

Here's an excellent primer on tubes: How Vacuum tubes work

My Chubster has 5 12AX7 dual triode tubes in the pre-amp and tone sections and 2 EL-34 Pentode tubes for the power amp. The guide discusses them.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Bill » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 pm

I was a chubster when I was 40. :P

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:14 am

Bill wrote:I was a chubster when I was 40. :P

:roflmao:
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:39 pm

-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Here's a very interesting pre-amp tube seller: www.12ax7a.com

This guy has a really interesting way to sort and sell tubes. I may have to try him out.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Check out this site: www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com.

He has what looks like two entire books on tubes online for downloading: Tube Primer
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:15 pm

Well, I retubed my amp and holy crap! This thing sounds incredible.

I'm really happy with Rivera. I called them because I had some trouble ordering new tubes from their web site. When I did, the guy that I spoke with said he'd have his tech test me up a complete set of tubes. He didn't have to do this. It would have been much easier to just pull them off the shelf and give me whatever he had laying around. But, Rivera is a boutique shop and they survive by doing a better job then the cheaper guys.

When I replaced all the tubes and re-biased the amp, I had a little trouble. While I had my meter probes on the high-voltage circuit with the bias current flowing through the meter, there was a flash an a pop and the whole thing went dead. The new power tubes were glowing bright red and I figured I'd blown up my expensive new tubes and possibly the amp. Fortunately, three trips to Radio Shack later, I discovered it was just a couple of blown fuses.

Finally, I was able to get bias readings that matched what I expected and I was able to adjust it correctly. Now the thing sounds like a brand new amp. It's hard to explain, but it has a clear chiming sound on the clean channel when adjusted with plenty of head-room and a fantastic bluesey bite when overdriven. On the "dirty" channel, it has an incredible classic-rock snarl when moderately overdriven and gets downright mean when cranked.

I don't think I've ever heard a guitar that sounds any better. Now, if I could only play it like it deserves.
-Richard Dawkins

Return to Music