Guitar "Toys"

This forum is for discussions of music.
Site Admin

Guitar "Toys"

New postby Bud » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Like any expensive hobby, there are a plethora of peripheral items and goodies that go along with it. I figured I'd start a discussion of them with this pedal guide.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:17 pm

The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:11 pm

The Marshall DSL401 is an awesome sounding combo. Listen to this demo

I'm still trying to determine if it's a class A, however. I'm guessing it's a class-B in a push-pull configuration, but I'll post when I know.
-Richard Dawkins

New postby Jeff » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Okay, i'll bite, "push pull combo"?
Jeff
It's a great day to be with my wife,
my friends and alive on my planet!

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 am

JeffHughes wrote:Okay, i'll bite, "push pull combo"?

"Combo" means the speakers and amplifier are in the same box. A "push-pull" amplifier is a particular arangement of the transistors or tubes in the amp circuit. (Look about 1//2 way down the Wiki page.)
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Well... I just ordered one of these:
:mrgreen:
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:57 am

Here's exactly the tone I want out of my guitar

Check out this Marshall 1974 Reissue. Be sure to listen to the video with the headphones on. I love that classic Marshall tone.

Also play the The Marshall Video on this page.

Here's the official Marshall 1974x page.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:02 am

I can't decide if I'm going to bid on one on eBay or not. Probably not, because there's no seperate gain control. To get that classic distortion, you've got to crank it. However, this is definatly my new benchmark amp. I want this sound!
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:21 am

-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 am

I'm thinking that this might be my new amp:
It's called the Chubster 40. Check out this video (play the Chubster 40 training video). It's by Rivera, the guy who made some of the clasic Fender amps.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:36 pm

OK, it's official. I did a "Buy it Now" on eBay for this amp:

See a few more pics here.

I took it's little brother, the Pubster 25, for a test drive at a local Rivera dealer (one of only two int he state) and it was the most incredible sounding amp I've ever heard. I was able to get and entire range of tones from sweet-and-clear cleans to mild bluesey snarl, to a better crunch then any Marshall I've hear to a near-solid-state metal-style raunchiness. From all reports, this amp will sound even better then it's little brother. (Unlike me and Dallas, where the little brother sounds much better then the bigger brother.) ;) The on-line demo's were awesome.
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Here is a cool video. It's an Interview with Paul Rivera (by, presumably, his son Paul Rivera Jr.), on Paul Sr.'s work turning Fender's amplifier business around.

Paul Rivera Interview
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:08 am

Here's that Rivera Amps Demo video link again. Be sure to play the "Clubster 25 Doce" video. It shows a better range of tones then the others. It's the "middle' brother (between the "Pubster" and the "Chubster" that I bought).

I get a chubster, just listening to it. :devil:
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 am

Here's another picture (the amp w/a close up of the controls).
-Richard Dawkins

Site Admin

New postby Bud » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:42 pm

-Richard Dawkins

Next

Return to Music